If I had to pick a dish to be one of my favorite breakfast foods, I would probably pick waffles. Almost nothing beats a warm, crispy Belgian waffle covered in melted butter and syrup. Well, except maybe matcha.
I teamed up with Your Tea to use their quality, 100% Japanese certified organic matcha (green tea) for this recipe. Matcha is well known for being super great for you (tons of antioxidants and giving you energy without a crash) and since it is in powder form, it is actually fantastic for cooking. Recipe after the jump!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cooking grade matcha
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 cup butter, melted
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and matcha.
- In another bowl, lightly beat egg yolks. Add milk and butter; mix well.
- Stir into dry ingredients just until combined.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown.
- Serve with toppings of your choice.
There are so many delicious recipes that utilize matcha recently. Let me know your favorite matcha foods in the comments!