It is National Mojito Day and I teamed up with SelvaRey Rum to bring you a mojito with a twist!
Bruno Mars is one of the co-founders/owners of SelvaRey Rum so I thought it would be fun to take a regular mojito and give it a little BM twist. So I present to you, the “Rumaway Baby” – a mojito with a little Filipino twist. (In case you live in a box, you can listen to Runaway Baby here and Bruno Mars is half Filipino). This recipe utilizes calamansi instead of regular limes. Calamansi is a tiny, round citrus fruit that is popular in the Philippines that is sort of a hybrid between a lime and a kumquat. Both sour and sweet, it is great for juices and cooking.
- 10 fresh mint leaves
- 4 calamansi, cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ice cubes
- 1½ fl oz SelvaRey Rum
- ½ cup club soda
- Sugar cane for garnish
- Place mint leaves and 3 small calamansi wedges into a glass. Use a muddler to crush the mint and calamansi to release the mint oils and calamansi juice. Add 3 more calamansi wedges and sugar and muddle again to release the juice. Do not strain.
- Fill the glass almost to the top with ice.
- Pour the rum over the ice and fill the glass with club soda.
- Garnish with remaining wedges, mint, and sugar cane,
Shoutout to my friend Rob who helped develop this recipe!