LA has decided to feel a little more like fall (it’s only in the high 70’s/low 80’s right now – sarcasm fully intended), which means the hearty, warm food comes out to play! Growing up, we didn’t use a slow cooker but we just cooked everything slowly on the stove. I got my first crock pot about 4-5 years ago and while I don’t use it a ton, it really makes cooking simple and delicious. My first slow cooker meal for this season is a braised short rib dish!
I wanted to take photos of it on the bone but honestly, it just fell apart when picking it up. I love meat that tender and juicy. I paired it with golden garlic mashed potatoes and blanched asparagus. For crock pot meals, since there is so much liquid, I love pairing it with food that allows me to soak up the juices, like potatoes, rice, or quinoa.
- 3-4 pounds short ribs
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil or butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder (or onion powder)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2-4 springs fresh thyme
- Sprinkle short ribs with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, melt the oil (or butter). Add the short ribs and cook until browned (about 3 minutes). Set into slow cooker/crock pot.
- Add garlic to the pan and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute). Put into slow cooker.
- in a medium-large bowl, mix together the broth, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and honey. Whisk or mix to combine.
- Pour the sauce into the slow cooker. Add thyme.
- Cook on low for 7-9 hours.
What is your favorite slow cooker meal?