I teamed up with Farmer John to put together some recipes featuring an item that almost every person loves and craves: BACON. With the help of my friend & chef-at-heart Randy, here is the first of these recipes!
This dish is comprised most of ube, what Filipino’s call a purple sweet potato. It’s slightly sweet, flavorful, and so gorgeously naturally PURPLE. It is used from savory to sweet dishes and is a very versatile vegetable which makes it fun to work with. This dish contains almost all my favorite ingredients: potatoes, bacon and cheese – what more could one want in life?
- 3 large purple sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- ⅓ cup of heavy cream
- ¼ cup of butter, softened
- 6 slices of Farmer John Classic Bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 head of garlic, roasted
- ¼ cup of cheddar cheese, grated
- rosemary, chopped
- garlic salt (or regular salt) & pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut garlic clove in half. Drizzle with olive oil and roast in oven until garlic is soft, about 30 minutes.
- While garlic is cooking, place potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring the pot to a boil and boil potatoes until fork tender, about 25 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and place back into the pot. Add cream, butter, chopped bacon, roasted garlic (with the skin removed), cheddar cheese, rosemary, salt, and pepper into the potatoes and mash until combined.
- Serve immediately.